Springfield Police Department's Community Center
17 West Johnny Lytle Avenue
Springfield, OH 45506
Photos courtesy of Springfield News-Sun
This newly renovated building originally opened as a Firehouse on October 18, 1909. The Firehouse accommodated Engine Company #9 until January 1, 1975. Many men served Springfield well from this location, and we are grateful for their service. After closing the doors as a Firehouse, the building was used by the City of Springfield's Traffic Signal Division until 1999, when the traffic staff moved to the Service Center leaving the building empty.
Meanwhile the Police Department had a substation in the house located at 24 West Johnny Lytle Avenue. By 2005 there was a need for additional space, so Police staff began efforts to attain funding for the rehabilitation of the "Firehouse". After private donations were secured, the two year process began. The Police Department's Community Center, often called "The Firehouse", was opened as an official Police building on October 13, 2009.
The Police Community Center houses the Police Department's: Canine Unit and Community Response Team. The building has areas set up for classrooms and training, as well as for public meetings and events.
If you wish to schedule the building for a community function, please call 324-7728.
Stay connected become a fan on Facebook