The Springfield Police Division accepts new recruits in two ways: Lateral Entry and Civil Service Entry. If you hold a current Ohio Peace Officer Training Certificate and are currently employed by an approved law enforcement agency, you may qualify for the lateral entry process. If you do not have a current Ohio Peace Officers Training Certificate and are not currently employed by an approved law enforcement agency, you must go through a civil service exam.
$39,894.40 - $54,225.60 (2009)
- At least 21 years of age at time of appointment.
- High School Graduate or equivalent.
- Eyesight: 20/20 corrected.
- Weight in proportion to height.
- Must possess the physical ability to perform consistently and promptly to all duties of the position.
Applicants must possess the ability to work with a substantial element of personal risk and exercise sound independent judgment; the ability to use interpersonal skills to manage conflicts; the ability to be trained to use firearms and other weapons; the ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously, and tactfully with respect to the rights of others; the ability to write complete and accurate reports; and the ability to withstand accident and violent situations while maintaining stability of performance.
Special Requirements of Work:
- All employees of the Police Division must reside within Clark county or any county adjacent to Clark county.
- Must hold a valid, unrestricted Ohio Driver's license.
- Must complete:
- Ohio Peace Officer Training (17 weeks)
- In-house training (8 weeks)
- Field training (13 weeks)
- Must become licensed by the Department of Health to administer Blood Alcohol Tests.
- Must maintain other certifications as required.
- 40 hour work week including nights, weekends and holidays on an assigned shift and on demand.
- Police Division employees have medical, dental, and life insurance benefits.
- Officers receive twelve holidays and two personal days annually.
- Vacation is accumulated based on years of service. This is calculated under contract with the bargaining units of the Division.
- Uniforms and equipment are supplied and are the property of the City of Springfield. Officers receive an annual uniform maintenance allowance of $825.00 (2009).
- After five years of service, officers receive longevity pay of $50.00 per years of service, paid annually (2009).