The Department of Law is established by City Charter and is under the direction of the Law Director, who is an appointee of the City Commission. The department represents and advises the City in all civil, criminal, and administrative law matters; prosecutes criminal cases in the Clark County Municipal Court; and performs such other duties as may be required by City Charter or ordinance.
The Law Director prepares all contracts, bonds, and other instruments on behalf of the City and endorses on each his approval of the form and correctness thereof. The Law Director gives oral or written opinions to any officer of the City, including members of the legislative authority, concerning any matter before such officer in his official capacity.
Through rendering high quality legal services, the Office of the Law Director facilitates the proper and effective conduct of the municipal affairs of our client, the City of Springfield, Ohio.
It is our vision to be passionate in implementing our values and to make the City Law Department a valuable asset to the Springfield community.
Excellence in Client Services:
- Champion the City's interests - remember that the City is our only client.
- Be accessible, helpful, and responsive.
- Maintain a reputation for legal competence, reasonableness and sound judgment.
- Be proactive in addressing the City's legal affairs and emphasize preventative legal advice.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of City operations, personnel and policies.
Excellence in Legal Professionalism:
- Support and defend the Constitutions and laws of the United States, State of Ohio, Charter of Springfield, and Ordinances of Springfield.
- Pursue excellence in the practice of law.
- Be recognized experts in municipal law.
- Adhere to the highest legal ethics.
- Apply our legal skills to promote the good order and prosperity of the Springfield community.
- Treat citizens and colleagues with respect and consideration.